For a summary of the second brainstorming session, see LightingBrainstorming2.
The November 3, 2010 Wonderland Wednesday session was devoted to a discussion of lighting. On the forum, we mentioned these as discussion topics:
- Visual representation of a "light" cell or capability
- Illuminate object
- Object as light source
- User Stories
- Simplest possible solution
In the brainstorming session, here's what we actually talked about.
Three separate lighting problems#
- World illumination
- day, dusk, night
- sun source
- Objects as light sources
- Object illumination
There's a placeholder for world properties if you open the Object Editor and click on the World Root item. This is where lightening properties would go in the UI
- Environment property sheet
- setting for light position
- light color
- change skybox image
- Allow user to save and name set
- Have some pre-sets for dawn, night, etc.
- Use different settings for different regions
- coordinate plus radius to define region
Objects as light source#
- specify a 3D point using off-set
- Either "point light" or "spot light"
- spot light needs direction and angle (how big cone is)
- If obj does not have material state, add one
- Provide sliders to control values:
- Material has 4 types of light (ambient, diffuse, specular, emmisive)